Read the August 2014 Edition of “The Bridge” Newsletter:
“The Bridge” is HUD’s Office of Housing Counseling Newsletter for Housing Counselors. You can read the new June 2014 edition of “The Bridge” on-line. The Bridge Newsletter and LISTSERV Subscription Drive::The HUD Office of Housing Counseling frequently publishes “The Bridge” Newsletter and this LISTSERV. The Bridge Newsletter focuses on Housing Counselors and highlights their hard work and the innovative best practices that contribute to improving the lives of American Families. The LISTSERV provides news and information for housing counselors on industry announcements, new policy notices, grant opportunities and guidance, employment opportunities, contracting opportunities, events, meetings, webinars and live training. We want to make sure housing counselors do not miss out on the latest information. If you would like to sign up your staff or a new counselor at your agency, or recommend a housing counseling industry colleague to receive the Bridge Newsletter and LISTSERV, please visit our subscription website to sign up today. This service is free of charge.
New Training For Counselors
- HUD Webinars for Housing Counselors: Register for these webinars today. Space is limited. After registering you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining these webinars. There is no fee for these webinars. These webinars are sponsored by HUD’s Office of Housing Counseling. Visit the HUD Office of Housing Counseling Training Calendar on-line:
- September 16, 2014 – Webinar: A review of the NEW Form HUD-9902. This webinar will review the HUD-9902 Housing Counseling Agency Activity Report. This webinar is highly recommended for housing counseling agencies and CMS vendors. Please submit any questions you have about the new Form HUD-9902 to us in advance, so we can answer your questions during the webinar. Please email your 9902 questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org and type “9902” in the subject line. We encourage your questions and will be accepting all questions emailed to us through Sunday, September 07, 2014. The new 9902 is now available for your review and can be downloaded from HUDClips. Reserve your webinar seat now.
- October 21, 2014 – Webinar. Emergency Preparedness Planning for Housing Counseling Agencies. This stakeholders meeting will discuss the role of housing counseling agencies in community emergency responses and the importance of Emergency Preparedness Planning. Reserve your Webinar seat now.
- NEW DATE October 28, 2014 – Webinar: Data needs and sources for Housing Counseling Agencies. Join with HUD for a discussion on what kinds of data housing counseling agencies use and what data would be beneficial to them that they cannot currently access. We will also discuss sources of data. Reserve your webinar seat now. If you have already registered, you do not need to register again, we will send you an updated confirmation.
- IRS Educational Products, Workshops and Seminars for Exempt Organizations: The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) offers training for non-profit organizations. Visit their website to view the IRS training calendar. The IRS provides training for tax-exempt organizations and charitable organizations seeking tax-exempt status at: www.StayExempt.irs.gov. The site includes information for new applicants; information to help existing exempt organizations maintain their exemption; and more in-depth topics. Also View the IRS webinar course catalog for workshops you can take on-line. Training dates include:
- September 17, 2014 – Blackwood, NJ
- September 18, 2014 – South Orange, NJ
- October 29-30, 2014 – Eau Claire, WI
- December 09, 2014 – Austin, TX
- U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness Training: September 10, 2014 – Webinar: Family Connection: Tailored Interventions and Assistance. This webinar is part of a series on building systems to end family homelessness. Sponsored by U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness and HUD. Reserve your webinar seat now
- September 10, 2014 through October 7, 2014 – Advanced Foreclosure: Case Study Practicum. View the full course description. Register online. NeighborWorks® Fall Schedule for Dodd-Frank-related Online Courses: eClassroom Express courses are a convenient, cost-friendly way to refresh your knowledge about topic areas covered in the Dodd-Frank legislation. For more information, visit NeighborWorks® online.
- Save the Date for These Upcoming NeighborWorks® Training Opportunities: More information can be found on the NeighborWorks® training calendar. NeighborWorks® Virtual Classroom Courses Begin Soon: Developed to feel like NeighborWorks® in-class offerings, Virtual Classroom courses incorporate user-friendly tools that keep NeighborWorks® faculty and class participants connected. For more information about this four-week courses, visit NeighborWorks® online.
- September 16, 2014 – Fair Housing
- September 30, 2014 – Property Maintenance
- October 14, 2014 – Avoiding Delinquency/Default Eviction
- October 21, 2014 – Responsibilities of Homeownership & Tenancy NeighborWorks® New HECM eClassroom Express Course: September 23, 2014 – HECM and the Non-Borrower Spouse, a 90-minute, faculty-led online course, covers the history of the issue surrounding the non-borrower spouse, the outcomes of litigation, and HUD’s recent policy efforts. View the full course description and mark your calendars. NeighborWorks® New Financial Capability eLearning offering: Available Now. Building Skills for Financial Confidence teaches practitioners how to effectively help their clients reach their financial goals. The course covers financially confident behaviors and attitudes, barriers to long-term financial security as well as tools and information to help make a difference in clients’ lives. Training for financial coaches, financial and housing counselors, program managers, and community development professionals.
7. Register now.
- NeighborWorks® training comes to Philadelphia and Washington DC: December 08-12, 2014 – Washington, DC, NeighborWorks® Training Institute
2. National Community Reinvestment Coalition (NCRC) Training comes to Atlanta, GA: Housing counselors and professional staff affiliated with HUD-Certified Housing Counseling Agencies are cordially invited to attend these comprehensive housing counseling training courses on September 15-19, 2014 in Atlanta, GA. Please visit NCRC’s website to find more information regarding Atlanta Training opportunities (Click “Training” to access the NCRC Training Academy’s portal.)=
- September 15-19, 2014 – HC108: HUD Housing Counseling Program Requirements. This course is designed to provide nonprofit organizations wishing to launch a housing counseling program with a better understanding of HUD’s regulations and program requirements for designing a homeownership education and counseling program. This training counts for 5 Continuing Education Credits (CEUs). Register on-line today.
- September 15-18, 2014 – HC109: Managing and Curing Mortgage Delinquencies. This four-day course focuses on best practices in a number of areas, including counseling delivery and intake process, time and case management, loss mitigation and servicing abuses, and utilizing the HOPE Loan Portal. This training counts for 4 Continuing Education Credits (CEUs). Register on-line today.
- September 19, 2014 – HC110: Privacy & Confidentiality. This one-day course will provide staff of Housing Counseling Agencies with training designed to inform participants of the requirements for practices protecting the privacy and confidentiality of consumers, and the way in which consumer information, communication, files, and records, individually or in aggregate, must be maintained in accordance with the HUD Handbook 7610.1. This training counts for 2 Continuing Education Credits (CEUs). Register on-line today.
NHNLA Training for Housing Counselors: The National Council of La Raza Homeownership Network Learning Alliance (NHNLA) offers housing counselors extensive on-line training opportunities on a variety of topics. For more information, registrations, and course details, please visit the NHNLA training Calendar. Please see the list of new courses below:
- September 15-16, 2014 – Montebello, CA. Dodd Frank Topics Refresher Course (live)
- October 21, 2014 – Webinar: Fair Lending and Mortgage Fraud Counseling
- October 23, 2014 – Webinar: Homebuyer Education Delivery
- October 28, 2014 – Webinar: Disaster Victims Counseling
- October 30, 2014 – Webinar: Rental Counseling
- November 02, 2014 – eLearning: Housing Counseling Competency: Avoidance of Foreclosure and Eviction
- November 02, 2014 – eLearning: Housing Counseling Competency: Housing Affordability
- November 02, 2014 – eLearning: Housing Counseling Competency: Fair Housing
- November 04, 2014 – Webinar: HUD Compliance
- November 06, 2014 – Webinar: Program Sustainability, Marketing Your Non-Profit
- December 02, 2014 – Webinar: Basic Client Management Using CounselorMax
- December 04, 2014 – Webinar: Home Equity Conversion Mortgage (HECM) Counseling
- December 09, 2014 – Webinar: Advanced Client Management Using CounselorMax
- December 11, 2014 – Webinar: Homeless Counseling
- January 13, 2015 – Webinar: Predatory Lending
- January 15, 2015 – Webinar: Basic Client Management Using Home Counselor Online
- January 20, 2015 – Webinar: Advanced Client Management Using Home Counselor Online
- January 22, 2015 – Webinar: HUD Compliance
- January 27, 2015 – Webinar: Fair Housing
- May 20, 2015 – Webinar: Rental Counseling
- May 21, 2015 – Webinar: Fair Housing
- May 26, 2015 – Webinar: Basic Client Management Using CounselorMax
- May 27, 2015 – Webinar: Home Equity Conversion Mortgage (HECM) Counseling
- May 28, 2015 – Webinar: Advanced Client Management Using CounselorMax
- Webinars and Live training events sponsored by Making Home Affordable (MHA): These training events designed specifically for housing counselors and other trusted advisors. Registration for the below courses and other information are available on-line:
- September 15, 2014 – Webinar: CheckMyNPV.com.
- September 16, 2014 – Webinar: LMSPN Scam Alert: Preventing Loan Modification Scams.
- September 18, 2014 – Webinar: Understanding the Terms of a HAMP Modification: Interest Rate Step-Up, Impact and Resources.
- September 22, 2014 – Webinar: Home Affordable Modification Program Webinar: Part 1.
- September 25, 2014 – Webinar: Home Affordable Modification Program Webinar: Part 2.
- September 10, 2014 – Webinar: MHA Tools & Resources for Trusted Advisors.
- September 23, 2014 – Webinar: Case Escalations for Trusted Advisors
8. FHA Loss Mitigation Training Webinars: More information and registration for the below on-line course offerings can be found on-line:
- September 10, 2014 – Webinar III: HUD Loss Mitigation – Home Disposition Options
- September 17, 2014 – Webinar IV: Neighborhood Watch System
- September 24, 2014 – Webinar: Single Family Default Monitoring System (SFDMS) – Reporting Basics
- October 08, 2014 – Webinar: SFDMS – Reporting Examples
- October 15, 2014 – Webinar: SFDMS – Reporting Examples
FHA Loss Mitigation Training: This is classroom training for HUD-approved Housing Counseling agencies, servicing lenders, and nonprofits. The training will provide information on FHA Loss Mitigation tools. It will cover new changes with the Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP), pre-foreclosure sale, and deed-in-lieu. Registration is required, No fee:
- September 11, 2014 – Tallahassee, FL. Register on-line.
- September 12, 2014 – Albuquerque, NM. Register on-line.
- September 16, 2014 – Birmingham, AL. Register on-line.
- September 17, 2014 – Indianapolis, IN. Register on-line.
- Counselor’s Corner on-line training: Visit the Counselor’s Corner for resources and training for housing counselors:
- September 11, 2014 – Webinar: Dodd-Frank Act: Basic Foreclosure Counseling. Register on-line.
- September 18, 2014 – Webinar: Certified Military Home Specialist. Register on-line.
- September 25, 2014 – Webinar: Recovery after Foreclosure. Register on-line.
Helpful Links for Housing Counselors:
- Email Technical Support for Housing Counselors
- HUD Housing Counseling Webpage
- The Bridge Housing Counseling Newsletter Archive
- Housing Counseling Listserv Archive
- Training Webinar Archive
- Events & Training Calendar
- Contracting Opportunities
- Career Opportunities
- Grant Opportunities
- Disaster Recovery Resources
- Foreclosure Assistance
- Making Home Affordable
- FHA Resource Center
- Index of HUD Listserv Mailing Lists
Disclaimer: This list will often provide training opportunities, event notifications and other announcements for non-profit and government HUD Housing Counseling partners. HUD does not endorse the organizations sponsoring linked websites, and we do not endorse the views they express or the products/services they or their community/business partner’s offer. For more information please see HUD’s web policies