New Presentation Added to the HUD Office of Housing Counseling (OHC) Webinar Archives: Visit the OHC Webinar Archive to view all the past training presentations.
- Original air date: November 18, 2014 – HECM Counseling Protocol “We can make it better”. The purpose of this stakeholder meeting was to seek Home Equity Conversion Mortgage (HECM), counseling agency stakeholder ideas and feedback on how to make the current HECM protocol more efficient and effective. Replay number: (800) 475-6701, Access Code: 337608. View the presentation.
New Training Updates for Housing Counselors:
- HUD Training for Housing Counselors: Visit the HUD Office of Housing Counseling (OHC) Training Calendar on-line. Visit the OHC Webinar Archive to view archival copies of past training events. Visit FHA’s Webinar Archive to view training on insured mortgage programs like HECM, 203K, non-profit programs, disaster recovery and much more.
- HUD Exchange: HUD has launched an online curriculum, including video, dynamic presentations and self-paced training modules, designed to help HUD partners understand Federal financial requirements. The HUD Exchange Training and Events website also has many other courses and training opportunities of interest to non-profit and local government agencies. Visit HUD Exchange to learn more and register for training opportunities.
- December 02, 2014 – HECM Protocol Stakeholder Meetings: Sponsored by HUD’s Office of Housing Counseling. The purpose of this stakeholder meeting is to seek HECM counseling agency stakeholder ideas and feedback on how to make the current HECM protocol more efficient and effective. Attendance is very limited for both of this meeting, Register today. This session is for local agencies. Register on-line.
- IRS Educational Training for Exempt Organizations: The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) offers training for non-profit organizations. Visit their website to view the IRS training calendar. The IRS provides training for tax-exempt organizations and charitable organizations seeking tax-exempt status at: www.StayExempt.irs.gov. The site includes information for new applicants; information to help existing exempt organizations maintain their exemption; and more in-depth topics. Also View the IRS webinar course catalog for workshops you can take on-line. Training dates include:
- December 09, 2014 – Austin, TX
- January 9, 2014 – Salt Lake City, UT
- May 12, 2015 – St. Louis, MO
- May 14, 2015 – Springfield, MO
3. NeighborWorks® Training Opportunities: More information can be found on their training calendar. For On-line training: visit NeighborWorks® Training Website to see their on-line course catalog and register for training opportunities.
- December 02, 2014 – NeighborWorks eClassroom Express Course on HECM Phone Counseling: Maximizing the Effectiveness of Telephone Counseling with HECM Clients teaches counselors who provide HECM counseling over the phone how to maximize client results as well as best practices to implement before, during and after a counseling call. For more information or to register, visit NW online.
- NeighborWorks Updated HECM Basics eLearning Course: Home Equity Conversion Mortgage (HECM) Counseling Basics Overview, an eLearning course, has been updated with the latest information on loan costs, loan calculation, payment plans, HECM counseling session requirements, and post-counseling follow-up. To register visit NW online.
- The New NeighborWorks Store: NeighborWorks Center for Homeownership Education and Counseling (NCHEC) is a leading resource on pre-purchase and post-purchase homeowner education. Prospective homeowners learn the entire home-buying process, from managing money and understanding credit to securing a mortgage loan and shopping for a home in Realizing the American Dream. The manual’s teaching companion, realizing the American Dream Trainer’s Manual, provides instructors with teaching tools, activities, worksheets and visual aids. Are you counseling homeowners? Keeping the American Dream will give them the skills they need to remain secure in their new home purchase. To learn more about these publications or make a purchase, visit NeigbhorWorksStore.org.
NeighborWorks® Training Institutes: Learn, network and share best practices — building your skills, maximizing your effectiveness and impact of your Agency.o February 23-27, 2015 – Los Angeles, CA, Register on-line
- 4. NHNLA Training for Housing Counselors: The National Council of La Raza Homeownership Network Learning Alliance (NHNLA) offers housing counselors extensive on-line and in-person training opportunities on a variety of topics. For more information, registration, and course details, please visit the NHNLA training Calendar. Please see the list of new courses below:
- December 08-12, 2014 – Washington, DC, Register on-line.
- December 01, 2014 – elearning 3 week course: Foreclosure Prevention II
- December 02, 2014 – Webinar: Basic Client Management Using CounselorMax
- December 04, 2014 – Webinar: Home Equity Conversion Mortgage (HECM) Counseling
- December 09, 2014 – Webinar: HUD Compliance
- December 11, 2014 – Webinar: Homeless Counseling
- December 16, 2014 – Webinar: Advanced Client Management Using CounselorMax
- January 5-9, 2015 – Phoenix, Arizona: Pre-Purchase I, Implementing and Growing Your Homebuyer Education Program, Transitioning from Foreclosure to Pre-Purchase
- January 13, 2015 – Webinar: Predatory Lending
- January 15, 2015 – Webinar: Basic Client Management Using HCO
- January 20, 2015 – Webinar: Advanced Client Management Using HCO
- January 22, 2015 – Webinar: HUD Compliance
- January 27, 2015 – Webinar: Fair Housing
- February 01, 2015 – elearning 3 week course: Housing Counseling Competency: Dodd-Frank Act Prep Course
- February 01, 2015 – elearning 1 week course: Housing Counseling Competency: Financial Management
- February 01, 2015 – elearning 1 week course: Housing Counseling Competency: Property Maintenance
- February 01, 2015 – elearning 1 week course: Housing Counseling Competency: Responsibilities of Homeownership and Tenancy
- March 02, 2015 – elearning 3 week course: Foreclosure I
- March 02, 2015 – Financial Counseling
- March 02, 2015 – elearning 3 week course: Housing Counseling Competency: Dodd-Frank Act Prep Course (Spanish)
- April 01, 2015 – elearning 3 week course: Housing Counseling Competency: Dodd-Frank Act Prep Course
- April 01, 2015 – elearning 1 week course: Housing Counseling Competency: Fair Housing
- April 01, 2015 – elearning 1 week course: Housing Counseling Competency: Housing Affordability
- April 01, 2015 – elearning 1 week course: Housing Counseling Competency: Avoidance of Foreclosure and Eviction
- April 01, 2015 – elearning 3 week course: Foreclosure II
- May 13-15, 2015 – Hartford, CT: Housing Counseling Program Management, Financial Counseling, Housing Counseling Competency: Dodd-Frank Act Prep Course, Rental Counseling
- May 21, 2015 – Webinar: Fair Housing
- May 26, 2015 – Webinar: Basic Client Management Using Home Counselor
- May 27, 2015 – Webinar: Home Equity Conversion Mortgage (HECM) Counseling
- May 28, 2015 – Webinar: Advanced Client Management Using Home Counselor Online
5. National Community Reinvestment Coalition (NCRC) National Training Academy comes to Washington DC: The conference is an opportunity to engage with colleagues on issues such as mortgage servicing, exclusionary zoning, Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing, disparate impact, and other important community concerns. This includes gaining a clear understanding of emerging legal issues and cases, and how they may affect local communities.
- March 25, 2015 – NCRC Annual Conference. Register on-line.
NCRC National Training Academy – Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing Training: In this FREE two-day training, community development practitioners, housing professionals, and local government officials will learn about Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing (AFFH) requirements and regulations that spell out the fair housing obligations of states, cities and towns across America:
- December 08-09, 2014 – Honolulu, Oahu, HI. Register on-line.
FHA Servicing & Loss Mitigation Training:
- Classroom Training. Early Delinquency Servicing Activities and HUD’s Loss Mitigation Training. Classroom training is for HUD-approved mortgagees, HUD-approved Housing Counselors, and Nonprofit Housing Counselors. For-profit Housing Counselors are not permitted to attend this training. This training covers a broad range and includes full coverage on: HUD Handbook 4330.1 REV-5, Chapter 7, Delinquencies, Defaults, Mortgage Collection Activities and HUD’s Loss Mitigation Waterfall Program. Additionally, overviews will be presented pertaining to Extension of Time Requests and Variances and Single Family Default Monitoring System. No fee. Space is limited to 45 participants; Registration is first come, first served. For more information, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Register on-line. Training dates include:
- February 24-25, 2015 – Oklahoma City, OK
- May 12-13, 2015 – Oklahoma City, OK
- August 11-12, 2015 – Oklahoma City, OK
- Webinar Training. Open to FHA-Approved Servicers and FHA-Approved Housing Counselors. A valid company email address and the FHA 5-digit Lender and/or Agency ID are required at the time of registration. No fee. For additional information, please email: Stacey.email@example.com
- December 03, 2014 Webinar II.2: HUD Loss Mitigation – Home Retention Options (FHA-HAMP). FHA’s National Servicing Center will provide guidance on HUD’s FHA-HAMP Loss Mitigation Home Retention Option. Topics include: how to review, qualify, and process the FHA-HAMP option; and the actions required to comply with HUD. Register on-line
- December 10, 2014 – Webinar III: HUD Loss Mitigation – Home Disposition Options. FHA’s National Servicing Center will provide guidance on HUD’s Loss Mitigation Home Disposition Options – The Pre-Foreclosure Sale Program and Deed-in-Lieu. Topics include: the features and benefits of each loss mitigation home disposition option; how to review, qualify, and process each option; and the actions required to comply with HUD. Register on-line
- December 17, 2014 – Webinar IV: Neighborhood Watch System – Servicer Tools. FHA’s National Servicing Center will provide an overview of how FHA-Approved Servicers can utilize HUD’s Neighborhood Watch system. Topics include: System access, servicing reports available, and how to utilize the case detail information available in Neighborhood Watch with the Loss Mitigation review process. Register on-line
- January 07, 2015 – Webinar V.1: SFDMS – Reporting Basics. FHA’s National Servicing Center will provide guidance to FHA Servicers covering the basics of reporting information on defaulted FHA loans to HUD through the Single Family Default Monitoring System (SFDMS). Topics will include: Deadlines, EDI files vs. manual reporting, reporting resources. Register on-line
- January 14, 2015 – Webinar V.2: SFDMS – Reporting Examples. FHA’s National Servicing Center will provide FHA-Approved Servicers an opportunity to review various default scenarios and the SFDMS reporting that should be associated with each scenario. Examples will include: Default, Loss Mitigation, Bankruptcy, and Foreclosure. Register on-line
- January 21, 2015 – Webinar V.3: SFDMS – Errors. FHA’s National Servicing Center will provide FHA-Approved Servicers the opportunity to review what causes fatal and non-fatal errors in SFDMS reporting, and what can be done to prevent or fix the problems. Servicers will also learn how SFDMS reporting affects their TRS II score. Register on-line
- Making Home Affordable (MHA): These webinars are designed specifically for housing counselors and other trusted advisors. Register on-line:
- December 11, 2014 – Trends in Housing Market Recovery and Borrower Demographics
- December 15, 2014 – Home Affordable Foreclosure Alternatives Program Webinar
- December 16, 2014 – Home Affordable Foreclosure Alternatives Program for Trusted Advisors8. Partner to Progress Strategic Leadership Forum for Housing Counselors: Partner to Progress Strategic Leadership Forum. Sponsored by HomeFree USA. For additional information, please contact Frances Robinson at: 855- 493-4002 ext.604 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- December 08, 2014 – Miami, FL, Register on-line. 9. Marketing 101 by VHDA: The Virginia Housing Development Authority (VHDA) is providing YouTube video training for non-profit agencies on how to market the services your agency offers. Additionally, they have posted many more informative training videos for non-profit agencies and consumers; please visit their YouTube Channel to view all their current training offerings. 10. OCC Financial Literacy Update: The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC)’s Financial Literacy Update is a bimonthly e-newsletter that reports financial literacy events, initiatives, and related resources of the OCC and other government agencies and organizations. Financial Literacy Update provides brief descriptions and Web links for events and training. Housing Counselors can visit the Financial Literacy Update on-line.
Some Helpful Links for Housing Counselors:
- Email Technical Support for Housing Counselors
- HUD Housing Counseling Webpage
- The Bridge Housing Counseling Newsletter Archive
- Housing Counseling Listserv Archive
- OHC Webinar Archive
- Events & Training Calendar
- Contracting Opportunities
- Career Opportunities
- Grant Opportunities
- Disaster Recovery Resources
- Foreclosure Assistance
- Making Home Affordable
- FHA Resource Center
- Index of HUD Listserv Mailing Lists
Disclaimer: This list will often provide training opportunities, event notifications and other announcements for non-profit and government HUD Housing Counseling partners. HUD does not endorse the organizations sponsoring linked websites, and we do not endorse the views they express or the products/services they or their community/business partner’s offer. For more information please see HUD’s web policies